Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took it upon myself to do a little experiment today. I'm sure many of you have tried this before, but I finally decided to find the top speed of my DS. I erased the current "top speed" in my Garmin and stuck it under the seat (the little tool pocket). I do know that the Garmin's speedo is accurate, which I found out the hard way with a nice speeding ticket a couple weeks ago. Cops radar matched the speedo perfectly, great success! Now with that out of the way, I was able to start the fun.

I did the test on a flat paved road in the middle of the country, not down a main street in the city like I have fantasized about doing for so long, that will have to wait for another test day. You can see for miles, so I made sure there were no cars/people and pinned it. I was surprised how fast it got up to top speed, pure acceleration. I bounced off the limiter in fifth.

And the verdict is.....112KM/H. It's not overly fast, but these things are NOT built for top speed. And it's definitely quick enough for a quad in my opinion, since there are no tracks that I personally know of that you'd be going that fast on anyways. The mods done to my quad are listed down below (my signature)

Thanks for reading!

(I do not advise riding on public roads, this was all just a very realistic dream :add_twinkle:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
u have 18's on ur's?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they're 18's. The stock ITP quad cross tires on the MX.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ya i got the stock holeshot sr's 20s it should have just a little more top end than ur's becuase its geared differently

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the YFZ's do like 130 KM/H. Theres not really a need for that kind of top speed on any tracks that I know of. Fifth to the bar would be a pretty sketchy jump, screw that.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
ugh...i hit like a little kicker that was like a foot tall in fifth pinned like months ago and it freaked me out...

although there were times when i was still able to ride that i kinda wanted a 6th gear...the motor feels like it has so much more than 5th will allow...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the motor would handle a 6th gear no problem. I hit the limiter in fifth easy.
I was rippin down this trail last weekend and went over this big rolling hill in 4th. I don't think I got any air but I felt weightless the whole way down the other side. It was awesome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ya man 5th on a track bearly happens and it is sketchy 5 on a jump can have bad results!!! lol i draged raced my buddy he has a trx 450 and i got him off the line but he cought up to me and past me they got more top end for sure but i get em out of the whole and i carryed the lead till i got to 5th rate before the limiter

·
Registered
58 Posts
this is one of my posts on ltr450racing.com:

I went out to Johnson Valley today and went to soggy dry lake bed. Its about 2.5 miles long of completely flat hard packed dried out mud. I managed to take along my garmin running GPS watch.

I recorded top speed and when I got back:

84.9mph peak speed.

My mods that could effect speed:

Motoworks SO pipe
PCIII
Twin air dual stage filter
RAZR 2 tires 20s out back 22s front
13t sprocket

so hardly anything done. I have a feeling that if i had a longer straight wway, i could hit 87. cause i kept accelerating about .5 miles per 5 seconds.

but 84.9 for sure

and it is an 06 ltr450 if you are wondering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i tested my 08 on a salt flat right after a broke it in, completely stock, and hit 70.8mph i raced head to head with my dads 650 he hit 72.4mph with a ron woods comp on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took it upon myself to do a little experiment today. I'm sure many of you have tried this before, but I finally decided to find the top speed of my DS. I erased the current "top speed" in my Garmin and stuck it under the seat (the little tool pocket). I do know that the Garmin's speedo is accurate, which I found out the hard way with a nice speeding ticket a couple weeks ago. Cops radar matched the speedo perfectly, great success! Now with that out of the way, I was able to start the fun.

I did the test on a flat paved road in the middle of the country, not down a main street in the city like I have fantasized about doing for so long, that will have to wait for another test day. You can see for miles, so I made sure there were no cars/people and pinned it. I was surprised how fast it got up to top speed, pure acceleration. I bounced off the limiter in fifth.

And the verdict is.....112KM/H. It's not overly fast, but these things are NOT built for top speed. And it's definitely quick enough for a quad in my opinion, since there are no tracks that I personally know of that you'd be going that fast on anyways. The mods done to my quad are listed down below (my signature)

Thanks for reading!

(I do not advise riding on public roads, this was all just a very realistic dream :add_twinkle:)
Nice going and well said, if you change the sprockets to a 39 tooth on the rear expect to pick up another 15km/h, just FYI, cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An axtra 15 km/h would be crazy. I think I'll stick with the stock gearing for now though, I don't really have a need for more top speed unless they make quads street leagal, which would be so awesome lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
An old thread but found it on a Google search, I have got mine running at around 85 mph top end with a mid set up and no mods just sprocket change, the set up is perfect for road use and trailing. Once I have my PCV and ron woods I'm going to push for an extra 15mph with a few mods see if I can get the little girl over the 100 mark lol

Oh that is Garmin GPS not speedo

·
Registered
29 Posts
update pcv and ron woods installed, on the map that came with, hit 90mph easy hitting 83mph in 4th so may well go higher, the problem is it all feels so smooth now lol and not scary. the other issue is the lower gears seem too quick, but there is little difference in 4th and 5th which im expecting are to do with the map more than anything else because its set for trailing. also hitting there quick, but did a tank of fuel in just over 40 miles so need to play around a bit thinking that 10 more mph should be to hard to get:bigeyes::bigeyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same experiment with a garmin GPS and my speed was 77.9 stock gearing only thing done is motoworks exhaust and pink wire mod it wasnt completely flat slight up and down hills but still fast enough for a 450

1 - 18 of 18 Posts