Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out riding and when i got on it, it rattled like a diesel. so i took the valve cover off and now i don't know how to adjust the valves. i take it is a shim type adjustment but do i have to unbolt the cam holders and remove the cams. and where do the shims go. i will post up a picture of where I'm at but I'm still so confused on this. i don't have a manual and i thought it would be like other quads but not. lol. if i knew the way to do it i can knock it out. thanks. any help and advice would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Measure your clearance with a feeler gauge before you take the cover off the cam shafts. If they are within specs, it will save you some work.
If you are going to take the cover off, be sure to lock your crankshaft at TDC first. It explains how in the service manual if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the cover off and then put it in fifth gear and aligned the marks and it stay there. I took messurements and they are in specs. So something else is loose or something. When you are in a low rpm and get on it, it has a clicking sound. Dont know what to check.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine has done that since new. The dealer told me they have ballbearing crank bearings or rod bearings, not inserts so they always rattle at low take off speed or low speed thrust but the noise goes away at speed

·
Registered
83 Posts
How do you take the valve cover off this things pain in the ass to work on

·
Registered
994 Posts
How do you take the valve cover off this things pain in the ass to work on
From the left side with side rail off rotate the cover up, toward the front and down to the left. It's tricky and very tight but comes off pretty easy once ya get the hang of it.
Patience is the key!

·
Registered
438 Posts
depends on how long it takes you to get the valve cover out, haha. no it's a couple hour job once you've done it before

·
Registered
1 Posts
Measure your clearance with a feeler gauge before you take the cover off the cam shafts. If they are within specs, it will save you some work.
If you are going to take the cover off, be sure to lock your crankshaft at TDC first. It explains how in the service manual if you have never done it before.
Will the shims cause one not to run I’ve got a 2008 ds450 and it just cut off on me riding one day has fuel spark and compression just backfires every now and again won’t crank any help would be appreciated

1 - 15 of 15 Posts