Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I got a problem when I start my engine.

When the engine is hot, it will run and start so perfect, better than before I rebuilt it. I couldn't ask better.

But, when I don't take the quad for one night, it will be very hard to turn over. It will do like 1-2 revolution than stop. So, I hit the start button another time and it will do 1-2 revolutions and stop again. Most of the times, it will do only 1 revolution. I can try to start it like that for about 1 or 2 minutes before it makes 4-5 sucessful revolutions then the motor will run. When I don't take the quad for about 3 hours, it will start not very fast but will not hesitate as when it is really cold. I repeat that the motor is running perfectly and gives a lot of power when hot (as soon as it is started)

My motor was firing up really well before I rebuilt it, even at -30 Celcius. The only difference the motor has right now is the second exhaust cam and also got an intake/exhaust race cut. Also, my valves aren't too tight, they are near the loosest they can be.

What do you think?

Thanks!
________
CuteHelga

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Test your battery. It sounds like it is going bad. Dead cells tend to draw over time, after bike is running the battery is charged up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
79 Posts
May be way off here, but could it be that the decompressor on the exh cam is sticking because there is no oil flowing on start up, and after it runs for awhile the heat and oil are causing it to work properly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good point, but I double checked it when rebuilding and it was working perfectly...Even with no oil. But I've to admit that a defective decompressor could gives this kind of problem. I don't know why but it's like something makes the motor reaally hard to crank when cold... I absolutly need to boost my quad with a car or my battery will die before the motor will crank correctly. As soon as it cranks without jamming, it will start right up.
________
BananaBunny

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still having the problem. Here's a video without valve cover cranking at cold :

The motor will crank good without the plugs. Verified the starter and no visual problem found. Tried with intake cam = same thing. Exhaust gap is 0.30 intake : .12 and .17.

Anyone? :1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
It looks like the decompressor is not working properly .
does the decompressor move freely?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is moving freely... The spring is still there also. How can I make sure that it is doing its job properly?

Thanks for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts